I’m participating in NaNoWriMo 2020! If you don’t know what this is, take a look. NaNoWriMo stands for National Novel Writing Month. It’s when people from across the globe decide to write 50k words of their novel. It’s one of the best things that can happen to you if you want to write a novel. They have all the resources and support system to help you through it – all for free.
I’m participating for the first ever time this year. I’m not going to be working on a novel, though. I’m going to be creating guided journals. I’m super stoked to be doing this! Creating journals is a different sort of creative challenge because it’s low-content. A lot of careful thought and consideration needs to be given to the cover design, page design (such as illustrations, lines, format, etc), title, prompts, etc. I’m finding that it’s harder to write 5000 words than to write 50000. But I like the challenge! I’m looking at November as my month of creative immersion.
Here’s my commitment: By Nov 30th, I will publish my first journal and create the content for the second journal. That’s my baseline goal. My stretch goal is to publish both the journals.
Actions I’ve taken so far:
- I spent a couple of weeks brainstorming ideas and journaling about them to see which ones landed strongly with me. Then I spent some time looking at their viability and narrowed down to the ones that made the most sense.
- I’ve also been consistently journaling on a daily basis so that I’m very in touch with journaling myself and am in-tune with the sort of transformation I’d like to help others achieve through my journals. This is in addition to blogging 3-4 times a week and creating videos for the rest of the days.
- I did a short course on skillshare so that I understood the process of creating and publishing journals end to end.
- I decided on the topic for the first journal and have just finished creating the first draft.
- Posted my commitment in a private online community that I’m a part of as well as in the NaNoWriMo forums.
I’m really excited about doing this! I’ll be sure to share how my challenge goes here! 😀